Skip Navigation


Replacement Project History

Historic Photo In 1991, the San Francisco Board of Supervisors revisited the reconstruction of Doyle Drive and established the Doyle Drive Task Force. The Task Force considered design options and made recommendations that were approved by the Board of Supervisors in 1993. In 1994, the National Park Service released the Final General Management Plan Amendment (GMPA) identifying the main objectives for Doyle Drive improvements, which focus on maintaining the historic value of the surrounding areas, minimizing noise and pollution impacts and enhancing the Presidio entrance and circulation features.

The San Francisco County Transportation Authority (Authority) developed the Doyle Drive Intermodal Study in 1996, which supports the Doyle Drive Task Force and the GMPA recommendation to make multi-modal and direct vehicular access into and out of the Presidio a central feature of the new roadway’s design.

Historic PhotoEnvironmental assessment for the project began in 2000, and the Draft Environmental Impact Statement/Report (DEIS/R) was released in 2005. On September 26, 2006, the Authority’s Board of Commissioners unanimously selected the Presidio Parkway as the Preferred Alternative. Input received during the comment period, as well as refinements to the Preferred Alternative, are reflected in the Final Environmental Impact Statement/Report (FEIS/R) that was circulated in October 2008 and certified on December 16, 2008.

Doyle Drive History

The history of Doyle Drive dates back to 1933 when the Golden Gate Bridge and Highway District (renamed in 1969 the Golden Gate Bridge Highway and Transportation District) started construction on Doyle Drive as the southern approach to the Golden Gate Bridge. Doyle Drive was named after Frank P. Doyle, a director of the California State Automobile Association.

  Image of Frank Doyle

Frank P. Doyle
Photo provided by
Santa Rosa Junior College

Mr. Doyle was a roadway advocate and civic leader, and the first private citizen to cross the Golden Gate Bridge. Doyle Drive was designed and built to operate with three, three meter (ten-foot) lanes in each direction, separated by painted double stripes. In September 1945, Doyle Drive became a state highway. Subsequently, the California Division of Highways, now known as Caltrans, assumed responsibility for maintenance of the section extending from the Golden Gate Bridge toll plaza to the Palace of Fine Arts and the Marina District of San Francisco.


  © Copyright Presidio Parkway Contact Us  |  Press Center  |  Site Map  |  Neighborhood UpdatesAgency Logos